Download class Notes handout file: Click “SAVE” & choose “PDF” Booklet (Portable Document File) for a printable file.
11.13.2022 – ADULT Sunday School – Life & Times of Moses, “The Dark Chapter, Keep on keeping on” Numbers 20:1-29, Rick Bickel
Numbers 20 – Wandering in the Wilderness
“1 Then came the children of Israel, even the whole congregation, into the desert of Zin in the first month: and the people abode in Kadesh; and Miriam died there, and was buried there.” Numbers 2:1 NASB1995
REVIEW (11/06/2022) LESSON: Numbers 19:1-22; “Death is Coming, Purification”
- Verses 1-10: The PROVISION for purification.
- Verses 11-13: LAWS of purification.
- Verses 14-16: Specifics of defilement.
- Verses 17-19: How to be CLEANSED.
- Verses 20-22: The nature of uncleanness.
LESSON 11-13-2022: Numbers 20:1-29; “The Dark Chapter”
- Verses 1: MIRIAM’s death.
- Verses 2-13: We arrive at two (2) CONTENTIONS*.
- Verses 14-21: Brother refuses BROTHER.
- Verses 22-29: Aaron is taken to his PEOPLE.
*The TWO Contentions:
- 1. Contention #1:
- 1a. The children of Israel contented with the LORD.
- 2. Contention #2:
- 2a. He (Moses) Contention #1 did what God said.
- 2b. Moses allowed his attention to shift to the behavior of others rather than focusing on the activity of God.
- 2c. Then and now: No one is righteous enough to enter the Promise Land.
- 2d. Oddly enough, in the face of this contentious people, God gives them the water!
Notes on the book of NUMBERS:
- The Book of Numbers is the 4th book of the Old Testament (OT).
- Book of Numbers is also the 4th book in OT chronological order.
- Book of Numbers contains 36 chapters, 1,288 verses.
- Book of Numbers tells of the events that happened on Israel’s journey between the Exodus and the entry into the Promised Land.
- The Book of Numbers is all about God’s people “in the wilderness“:
- How they get there;
- How God deals with them in the wilderness; and
- How He brings them out of the wilderness on their way to the Promised Land.